Sunday, February 14, 2016

Vogue 2787: 1948 Evening Dress

Here's another project from a while back that I'm only just getting around to blogging about-- an evening-length Vogue 2787.
 
After making my wedding dress, I had about a yard and a half of cobalt blue 4-ply silk crepe left over.  I wanted to make another evening dress out of it, and decided to use Vogue 2787, a reissued 1948 day dress. 

I'd made this dress once before, back in the days when I really didn't know what I was doing.  I made it out of cheap cobalt blue cotton voile, which, in addition to being obviously poor quality, was unfortunately see-through.  Clearly, a replacement was in order.  Another point in favor of this pattern was that it really doesn't require much fabric.  But, even so, I had to order an additional yard of 4-ply silk crepe.  Still, that wasn't a big deal.

The dress as presented in the pattern is mid-calf length.  I decided to make it floor-length.  Calf-length dresses generally look dumb on me, and the remaining options were knee-length and floor-length.  I felt that a knee-length hem would unbalance the lines of the dress, so floor-length it was.  Now that I've actually made the dress, I think it looks stunningly awesome.  Plus, it works well as another warm evening dress for the bitterly cold weather we've been having up in Boston.
Construction generally went smoothly.  The lapped seam at the center front required time and care, but otherwise, I didn't find the pattern to be particularly challenging.
I used some vintage buttons for the back neck closure.  I loved these buttons from the moment I laid eyes on them and I'm excited that I finally got to use them!
Anyway, it's a spectacular dress, it fits me like a glove, and I highly recommend it if you're looking for a relatively quick and easy project.
I carried out this photo shoot at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, just outside of Las Vegas.  It was certainly nice to see the park, but I think in general I prefer the Valley of Fire, which was larger, emptier, and had more spectacular scenery.
Happy sewing!

2 comments:

  1. stunning dress, adore the colour, and the location...fab

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful color on you. Jealous about the location - I'm still here in the Boston area, freezing away. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete