Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Quick sewing tip

I often use pins to spell out an "F" or "B" on pattern pieces to distinguish the front from the back:
This helps prevent situations where your dress consists of two nearly-identical pattern pieces, one for the front and one for the back, and you cut the front out, get distracted, go to bed, wake up the next morning, and cut out another front instead of cutting out the back.  Which, incidentally, has never happened to me.  Nope, not at all.  Move along, nothing to see here...


5 comments:

  1. Back pattern pieces often have double notches to distinguish them from front pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! In this case, there were no notches at all, though.

      Delete
    2. Oh (re the lack of notches).

      If I'm afraid of becoming confused, I mark with a chalk pencil or even thread trace to distinguish the pieces. I'd be afraid that the pins would snag on something. If you're going to sew the pieces fairly quickly that may not be a problem.

      I often thread trace a mark distinguishing the wrong side from right side. On the wrong side, I sew a cross. On the right side, it looks like two horizontal parallel stitches. I picked up the tip from a DVD by Claire Shaeffer.

      Delete
  2. I use masking tape on the WS of the back pieces. I place them off-center, toward the CB. For more complex projects, I'll write on the tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use pins as well- I use 2 parallel ones for the front piece and 2 crossed ones for the back. I like your idea of making letters - very clever!

    ReplyDelete