Saturday, December 5, 2015

I am a WIZARD

I titled this post "I am a WIZARD."  You probably came here thinking I was going to tell you some brilliant sewing tips, didn't you?

Nope.  I meant it literally.
Let's review the series of steps that led me here.

I wanted a really warm winter dress.  I had this brilliant blue wool boucle in sort of a terrycloth-like texture.  Since the boucle was so thick, I figured it probably couldn't take much in the way of fine detail, so I selected this pattern:
I made a muslin.  It was way too large in the bust (Really, pattern?  I'm a 33 bust, and you're for a 31 1/2 bust?) and way too small in the hips.  In the course of altering the bust, I got rid of the gathering at the neckline because it was easier to fit that way.  I also made the dress longer, because it would be warmer, and I lengthened the sleeves because I intended to gather them later, also because that's warmer.

The end result?

Wizard.
So very wizard.
My friends were decidedly unsupportive.  Some select quotes:

"Hello, Harry."

"You should buy a hat to go along with that."

"You should applique some yellow stars and planets on it and wear a wizard hat."

Anyway, I'm going to see what I can do to un-wizard this dress.  One of my friends suggested that I just embrace the wizard and add lots of pockets in unexpected places a la Kvothe from The Name of the Wind, you know, so I can magically produce items at dramatic moments.  This is actually not a half bad idea.

Stay tuned!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to blog an unexpected result-also tese pics are priceless and the expressions hilarious. I'd suggest shortening it above knee (Yea I know it's winter but maybe just wear it with wool tights and/or boots?), narrowing the sleeves (if the material is too heavy to gather) and maybe wearing it with a belt? Vintage patterns are notorious of excess ease so you could also take in the sides to some extent.. Can't wait to see what you end up doing; I think more people (including myself) need to do fixing-things posts like this one. Keep rocking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't name this blog Sewing Faille for nothing! The list of changes that I'm considering making are adding patch pockets, taking up the ease in the back with an elastic casing, shortening and gathering the sleeves, and shortening the skirt. Hopefully I will look less wizard-like. Anyway, thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  2. Oh my - sorry the result did not match your vision didn't on this one. But the dress was not a fail. It is a success, but not in the way you intended - those photos gave me a much needed giggle this morning. Those expressions say sooo much.

    You do look good in that color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. I had a similar event where i pictured Audrey Hepburn classy and ended up with an accidental nuns habit. You gave me a good laugh anyway.

    ReplyDelete