Sunday, November 1, 2015

Vogue 7910: Wool Tweed Flared Skirt

This pattern, Vogue 7910 (OOP but still available) is my absolute favorite skirt pattern.  In fact, it's the first pattern I ever made when I started sewing clothes, which must have been something like eight years ago.
It has a waistband and is fitted through the waist and hips, but then flares to a circle skirt at the knees, at least in the version I always make, Version A.
Since it's so full, I always buy around three yards of fabric for it.
The pattern pieces have an interesting and unexpected shape-- like little space capsules!
For the fabric, I used this fantastic forest green/white wool tweed shot through with fuchsia, mustard yellow, and lime green.
I lined it with mid-weight white silk charmeuse, and hemmed the skirt with white hem tape.  Best lining ever!
I hand-stitched the inside of the waistband down with such tiny stitches you can barely see them.  It took about three hours, but I did it while playing the turn-based strategy game Battle for Wesnoth with a friend of mine who always takes a looooonnnngggg time with his turns, so it was all good.
Anyway, it's such a delightful skirt to wear.  I much prefer full skirts over pencil skirts and A-line skirts because of the extra freedom of movement they give me and how warm they are in the winter.  I like how this one is fitted through the waist and hips, which reduces bulk if you're using a mid- or heavy-weight fabric.
Plus, it goes swish when I walk!
Have any other favorite full skirt patterns to recommend?  Winter is coming, my stash is full of wool, and I'd love to have more variety!


3 comments:

  1. This is lovely! I like the lines of the skirt. It's fun while also looking professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous - i adore tweed. I made one up based on the martha stewart pattern for suede no sew wrap http://www.marthastewart.com/269661/suede-no-sew-skirt?center=0&gallery=274497&slide=269661 (my blog is theupsew.com if you wanted to see mine). it was a quick sew and I love wearing it, and I am just finishing a 70s vogue A-line (normally I dont like a-lines but this vogue pattern is always right)

    ReplyDelete