Monday, October 26, 2015

I got married! Here's my wedding dress!

Hi, guys!  I got married on Saturday!

If you've been wondering why I haven't been posting much over the past month or so, it's because six weeks ago my then-fiance and I realized that we'd set a date but hadn't done any planning for the wedding, so...yeah.  A lot had to get done in not that much time.  The wedding itself was small and low-key, but exactly what we wanted.  We invited our parents, the two friends who brought us together, and the two friends who helped with the wedding logistics and their baby.  There was a short ceremony and a small reception at an elegant and picturesque research institute where I'd worked in the past, and then we all went out for dinner at our favorite steakhouse.  Awesome.

But, that's probably not what you're here for.  You want to see the wedding dress!  And here it is.  I was too busy doing wedding things to take decent photos, and the professional photographer will take a few weeks to deliver the photos that he took, so here's the best photo that was taken at the time. 
The dress is the 1935 Madeline Vionnet dress (see e.g., here, here, and here), but in cobalt blue four-ply silk crepe.  I didn't want a wedding dress per se, just a really nice dress that I could continue to wear, and this fit the bill perfectly.  I think it's my favorite of all the versions I've made so far.  I didn't line it, unlike the white four-ply silk crepe version, and I think it drapes and moves better.  I'm looking forward to getting a lot of wear out of it in the future!

Edited to add:  I took some more photos of the dress this evening.  They're not great because I didn't have a lot of time to experiment, but at least they give you a better idea of what it looks like.  I have to add that the fabric photographs up more vibrant than it is in real life-- the color is less royal blue than cobalt blue, and it's not as shiny in person.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you made your dress! And, it's not white and super beautiful. I can't wait to see the photos. Congratulations to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I hope you are always as happy in your marriage as you look in that picture. I also love how you did your wedding, it reminds me a lot of mine so I'm probably biased. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-that blue is just stunning! Gorgeous dress! And congrats on you're wedding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! Thanks so much, you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, and may you and hubby "sew many beautiful stitches together"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning dress, just beautiful. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress!! I love the vibrant blue. It's such a graceful dress. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete