Thursday, September 3, 2015

Vogue 2636, 1980's sundress that actually looks great!

Well I'll be hornswoggled-- I never thought I'd like any fashion that came out of the 1980's, but actually, this pattern is really great!
 
I originally got this pattern from my aunt, along with a dress she'd made out of it in some kind of navy silky fabric.  I love that dress.  It feels swishy and amazing to wear, so of course I had to make another one myself!
I'm not quite sure how to describe the construction of the dress-- the bodice was intended to be fairly loose fitting, and the skirt is extremely full, like a gathered circle skirt.  A casing for elastic runs around the entire waist seam, and holds the dress tight at the waist.
My favorite detail?  It's got POCKETS!!!
I made this dress from cotton voile with a print (Opal) by Joel Dewberry.  It took about 4 yards of 54" wide fabric.  It's lined with white silk habotai.  The pattern doesn't have any instructions for the lining, and adding a lining to the bodice was a little fiddly, but I don't remember the details since I sewed this dress a while back.  Otherwise, it was unproblematic.
Overall, I have very few complaints.  The neckline is a little low so I have to pin it together at the center front to keep it from showing off my bra, but...whatever.  That's pretty minor.  I would definitely make this dress again, probably in silk charmeuse.
My fiance took these photos.  I did the flash setup, camera settings, and postprocessing, but the framing and direction are all his.  Thanks, sweetie!  All the photos were taken at 31mm and f/7.1 (except for the first one, which is at f/4.0).  Now, while I was setting up the flash...
SOMEBODY thought it would be really funny to take a photo of me while I was fiddling with the settings.  Actually, it is really funny.  He thinks that the photo looks like the moment at which I've failed to defuse a bomb.  "NO!  I SAID CUT THE *BLUE* WIRE!!!"

Happy sewing!




No comments:

Post a Comment