Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Vintage Pattern Brigade

I recently went to visit my parents, and brought back a suitcase full of the vintage patterns I'd been storing at their house (Thanks, Mom and Dad!).  I should photograph them all at some point, but for the time being, I wanted to share a few of my favorites.

Vogue 6140 (1948) and Butterick 2996.  These are THE BEST robes.  Man, did they ever know how to design fantastic robes. 
Vogue ????.  Such classic lines, and all the darts lead me to believe that it would fit well, too.  This dress would be amazing in silk or wool crepe.
Advance 2753Really classy coatdress.  Love the color.
Vogue 9178.  Don't you love the knife pleats in the skirt?  I think this would be a fantastic summer dress in linen.
Advance 4779 (1949).  Not exactly a classic design in the same way as the previous two, but I like the unusual seaming of the pockets.  For some reason I always imagine that the Ms. Pattern Envelope on the left is a newspaper reporter from the Batman universe.
Butterick 4675.  Love the streamlined and classic lines of the front and the full skirt and peplum of the back.
Simplicity 4965.  Adorable sailor suit.
Woman's Day 3176.  What a fascinating skirt.  How is it constructed?  I've never seen pleats done like that.  Would it look awesome when made up, or be a horrible disaster ?





Have any vintage patterns you love, either because they're a perfect fit for modern style or a relic from a bygone era?





2 comments:

  1. When I watch old movies I pay particular attention to the clothing. I'm always amazed by the details and the flow of the garment. Lovely patterns here--I especially like the robes from the 30's and 40's. Never ventured to make one, but one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore vintage patterns. there are often subtle little curves and lines here and there in seam lines etc that in ways are fiddly but add to the finish. I often think they are ommited from contemporary patterns as the perception is that they do not make for a fast sew. The one thing that will continuously catch me out is the gorgeous hand drawn illustrations.... sometimes the 70s patterns are a bit easier to re-imagine in a make because of the photograph......

    ReplyDelete