Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Marimekko Eva Dress U30-7202 (1932 slip turned sundress)

In an earlier post, I discussed Eva Dress U30-7202, a 1932 slip pattern that I've been using to make sundresses.  This is the first sundress that I made from it.
The fabric is a mid-weight cotton print by Marimekko, and I bought it on one of my trips to Copenhagen.  I loved the fabric at that store, but it was quite expensive so I only ended up with a yard and a half or two yards.  I chose this pattern because it requires very little fabric, and because it wouldn't disrupt the large circles.
I lined it with some stretch silk crepe de chine, which was just awful.  The fabric feels gross, and it tends to stretch itself out as I wear the dress and hang below the hem of the dress.  I used it because it was what I had at the time, but...never again.
In any case, just like the other example I've posted, I've really enjoyed wearing this dress!
All photos here were taken with Pentax K-3 and 40mm Limited @ f/4.0.  Natural light at sunset.

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous dress - the color is magnificent on you.
    I always avoid stretch silks just because I'm not sure how it would affect the fabric. I wonder if that's what made it unpleasant? And perhaps I'll continue to avoid lycra in silk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! And yeah, I think it was the lycra that was the problem. It definitely caused the problem with the stretching, but the consistency...? I'm not so sure. In any case, if I wanted something made out of silk to be stretchy, I'd cut it on the bias, because I find it a lot easier to control that way.

      Delete