Monday, August 3, 2015

Vogue 2902 (sort of): The Super Hexagon Dress!

I'm calling this the Super Hexagon dress due to the striking similarity between this print and the art style of the game Super Hexagon.  You should try it!  It's better than Regular Hexagon!
The dress is basically a hacked-together version of my favorite bodice sloper and the skirt from the reissued Vintage Vogue pattern 2902, which is more or less my go-to pattern for a mid-length circle skirt.  I've made the full dress before and the bodice is fine; it's just that in this case, I didn't think it would be improved by the bands at the top of the bodice.
The fabric is a cotton batik from fabric.com, long since sold out, I'm sure.  The dress used somewhere between 3 and 4 yards of fabric.  The limiting factor is the amount of fabric required for the circle skirt.  Once you take care of the skirt, you'll usually have no problem squeezing out a bodice from the leftover pieces. 
The bodice is lined with silk habotai, and the skirt is hemmed with 1" (or 1.5"?) horsehair braid, for extra volume.  You can see the horsehair braid in the photo below.
Here's a shot of the back.
I had a lot of fun with this photoshoot, climbing on the oddly-shaped benches.  The benches are in an area with heavy foot traffic from tourists, so my photoshoot attracted a lot of attention from passers-by.  A guy with a cell phone on a selfie stick gave me a thumbs-up, and one guy even asked to have his picture taken with me (!!!). 
Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment