Sunday, August 16, 2015

Eva Dress U30-7202, 1932 slip turned sundress!

This pattern, Eva Dress U30-7202, is, by far, the one I've gotten the most mileage from.
It started out life as a pattern for a 1932 slip.
I've never actually used it to make a slip.  I realized early on that since it was a simple sheath dress, with no waist seam and a minimal number of darts for shaping, it would be ideal for fabric with a large print I didn't want to break up, like the butterfly print in this example.
I say "this example" because I've actually made this dress four times, and I'm working on a fifth.  (I was planning to photograph all of them today, but by the time I went out I only had enough light left to shoot one.  I'll get to the rest later this week, I hope.)  This one is a cotton/linen blend lined with silk habotai.  The pattern didn't originally provide for a lining-- obviously, since it's for a slip-- but I thought a slippery lining would help the dress hang better. 
The other major advantage of this pattern is that it requires so little fabric-- if you don't have to worry about the print, you can make it with a yard and a half.  The original pattern was intended to be cut on the bias, IIRC, but all the examples I've made I've cut on the straight grain.
Despite the simplicity of the pattern, this particular version posed quite a challenge, trying to get the print to match up at the sides.  I think I actually did a pretty good job!  Anyway, I'll have more to say about this pattern in the next installment, whenever I get around to photographing one of the other versions.


1 comment:

  1. Inspiring! This is absolutely stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete