Saturday, May 2, 2015

Vogue 2859: 1935 Evening Dress

I love 1930's evening dresses, and this one is no exception.  This was my favorite evening dress for a while.
One of the great advantages of this pattern is how little fabric it requires.  Size 6 calls for 2 1/4 yards of 45" wide fabric, but I actually managed to make it with a yard and a half.  What can I say?  Airplane seats and fabric yardage-- it's great to be short.  I used a navy silk crepe de chine remnant from F&S Fabrics in Los Angeles.

So...before I show you any pictures, I have to say that this dress was one of the victims of the Grad School Apartment Mold Disaster.  I couldn't get the stench out by washing it with vinegar in the washing machine; I had to have the dress dry-cleaned.  Unfortunately, even though I'd pre-shrunk the fabric, the dress still shrunk.  I can still squeeze into it, but now it's several inches too short.  I thought I ought to blog about it before I give it to one of my friends, though. 
I love this pattern and would highly recommend it.  I found that the construction was straightforward and it went together very easily.
I love the lines in the bodice.  It took a lot of care to get the points sharp, but it wasn't particularly difficult.  I believe the pattern has you use lapped seams, which is my favorite technique for tricky corners like these.
The lines are echoed in the bodice back.
I made a modification to the inside of the dress.  I thought it would be too low-cut in the back and too form-fitting for me to wear a bra, so I stitched a couple of circles of lightweight cotton batting to some cotton gauze, and sewed it into the inside of the bodice for modesty.  This worked out really well.

Anyway, I highly recommend this pattern, and I will definitely make myself a replacement at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment