Sunday, April 5, 2015

Pattern FAIL-- Vogue 1137, sleeveless dress

I have to say, y'all, that I was feeling a bit conflicted-- I named my blog Sewing Faille, and yet I had never sewn with faille, and most of my projects were successes.  No longer, my friends!

When I went to Japan, I bought this lovely lilac Japanese cotton with a fun print that runs in stripes. 
I thought I'd use it for a V-neck dress, so that the stripes would run parallel to the neckline and form a V in the center front and center back, like this: 

I chose V1137, a reissued Vintage Vogue pattern from the 1950's.  It's a close-fitting, sleeveless V-neck dress.
This pattern more or less failed to go well. 

First off-- the sizing.  This pattern comes in sizes 8-22.  I usually need a size 6 in Vogue patterns, so I cut a size 8, expecting to take it in.  I added center front and back seams to the bodice, and cut the pieces out on the bias, instead of on the straight grain as the pattern wanted.  I sewed the darts with my usual small bust adjustment, pinned the pieces together, and tried it on.

The bodice was waaaayyy to small.  It wasn't a size 6; it was more like a size 4.  I let out the 5/8" seam allowances to 3/8", and then the bodice fit in the front.  The bodice back, however, was a mess.  The darts took in too much fullness, and the back neckline gaped terribly.  I'd have to pin out over two inches to get the gaping to go away.
I could have kept going, but at that point I felt like Father Ted.


So, I think I'll be looking for a different pattern to use.  I still have plenty of fabric to cut another bodice.


TL;DR
If you're going to use this pattern, you should be aware that the sizing runs very small, and the pattern doesn't fit well from the get-go, especially in the bodice back.  I'd recommend you just use a different pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment