Monday, March 9, 2015

Exhibit Review: Hollywood Glamor


On Wednesday, I went to see the exhibit "Hollywood Glamor" at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, which featured clothing and jewelry from Hollywood movies of the 1920's through 1940's.  It was small but excellent.  This is my favorite period in clothing design-- I especially love bias-cut evening dresses-- and the exhibit provided the opportunity to see sixteen outfits up close.  I'm going to point out some of my favorites here, but you can see the full set of pictures, including higher-resolution versions, in my Flickr album.

I love the attention to detail in the beading of this evening dress and jacket from What a Widow!  (1930).  The beaded flower motifs have been appliqued across the seams, and to match at the bottom of the jacket opening.
The bodice of this dress from the 1934 movie Limehouse Blues makes clever use of the bias cut.  The seams form an X across the front of the bodice, which emphasizes the bust, but also allows the seams to fall along the straight grain, which is much easier to work with.
In this dress from This Way Please (1937), the strips along the side of the bodice become halter straps.  Do any of you know exactly how this construction works?  I haven't been able to find a pattern which features it.




I hope you've enjoyed this brief look at the exhibit!  Please browse my full Flickr album-- it has nearly 140 photos, including labels and detail shots of the dresses.  What are your favorites?




No comments:

Post a Comment