Monday, February 2, 2015

V2885 (1944 A-line skirt)

Here is my first project for this blog!  It's the skirt from V2885, a 1944 suit, one of the reissued vintage patterns from Vintage Vogue.


I really like this pattern.  It's a slight A-line skirt with a notch at the center front waist and a triangular kick pleat in the back.  I made it up in a mid-to-heavy weight fuchsia wool which has a fuzzy surface and a slight nap, and lined it with black silk charmeuse.  The pattern instructions were unproblematic, IIRC.


In short, this was a simple pattern in an easy-to-work-with fabric.  What could possibly go wrong?

Two things.  First, I didn't have interfacing, so I didn't use any.  This was a mistake.  The two sides of the notch don't hold their shape and tend to fold over and wrinkle oddly.  Whatever-- I'll wear it with a jacket or a sweater.



The second problem relates to the intended function of the skirt.  At the time I made this skirt, I lived in Northern Virginia.  My commute was a half-hour walk.  I've since moved to Boston, and my commute is now an hour walk.  My job occasionally demands nice clothes.  Winter is cold!  I wanted a warm skirt that would lend me an air of respectability while concealing the fact that I was wearing serious wind-blocking cycling tights underneath.  This skirt goes down to a few inches below my knees, so all anyone can see are my boots.  Success!


 However, as I quickly found out, the skirt twists as I walk so that the center back seam ends up where the left side seam should be, and the left side seam, which has the zipper, ends up at the center front.  This is so obnoxious!  I have no idea why this is happening!  If you guys have any idea, I would love to hear about it in the comments. 

Oh well.  The skirt is warm, it's bright fuchsia, and the silk charmeuse lining feels like luxury.  So, now I carry the skirt in my backpack and only put it on when I arrive somewhere that requires respectable clothes. 

My only other complaint is that the length feels a little old-lady-like.  But, if I made it any shorter, it would show off the reflective stripes on the side of the bike tights, and that would be bad.

Bonus:  Nerdy Photography Fail
The contrast between my pale skin and the shadow of my hair is enough to cause purple fringing.  What a bummer of a secret photographic superpower!  I tried to correct the purple fringing in Adobe Lightroom, but the fuchsia of the skirt is the exact same color as purple fringing, so Lightroom desaturated the edges of the skirt.  Cue the sad trombone...

1 comment: