Saturday, February 14, 2015

Nomura Tailor: Fabric Shopping in Japan

Last spring, I took a trip to Kyoto, Japan.  It was amazing in every way. 



 While I was there, of course, I had to visit a fabric store-- Nomura Tailor


I'd already bought a lot of Japanese fabric from Super Buzzy, but Nomura Tailor was something else.  The sheer variety and volume of fabric were overwhelming.  I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Brocade:

Remnants:

Double gauze:

Japanese cottons:

My favorite designer, Echino:

...and the cutting table.  I went to Nomura Tailor one day and bought some fabric.  I then decided I hadn't bought enough fabric, and went back another day to buy more.  I think we can all agree that this was the only proper response to such a wonderful fabric store!


Here is my haul:

I got five different Japanese cottons.  These have a weight similar to quilting cotton, maybe a touch heavier, but with a nubby texture.
I'm not sure how to describe this cotton.  The colors are woven in instead of printed:
 Cotton batik:
Cotton seersucker:
I got two cotton voiles:


 Out of ten cuts of fabric, so far I've sewed up...four?  

If you like sewing and ever have the chance to visit Japan, do it.  The fabric is amazing, and cheap-- Nomura Tailor's prices were about half Super Buzzy's-- but it was also lovely to see, in person, so many of the things that Japanese prints are based on.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment